Table of Contents
- What is a Success Milestone?
- How to Create a Success Milestone Definition
What is a Success Milestone?
Success milestones are the measurement of specific actions related to the achievement of desired business outcomes. They are the stepping stones to outcome achievement.
Success milestones can be achieved through the completion of a task or project or by meeting the minimal threshold related to a customer activity. They can be tracked automatically via MetaCX metrics or manually within the application.
Success milestone achievement is a great indication of customer health. If success milestones aren’t being achieved, MetaCX allows you to see what actions your customers are falling short on so that you can proactively correct your customers’ behaviors. You do this by accessing the company-specific view of success milestones.
MetaCX also gives you the ability to view success milestones across your entire customer base. At the aggregate, you can see what percentage of your customers are consistently taking actions that will lead to value from your product. For this reason, success milestones can be used to gauge how healthy your customer base is as a whole.
When you assign a success milestone to one or more companies, MetaCX copies the definition of the success milestone to each company. You can then customize the company's copy of the success milestone to suit the business's needs without changing the original definition.
How to Create a Success Milestone Definition
Once in the customer relationship, click the success milestone icon in the upper-right corner of the application.
Click the Manage Success Milestones button that appears in the lower-right corner.
Select Create Milestone.
- Add a name, description, and icon to help you identify the success milestone.
- Set the Start Evaluating and Set Deadline for Achievement for the success milestone pencil. You have the following options.
- If you want evaluation to start once the success milestone is assigned to a company, select Upon Assignment.
- If you want to set the start and end dates per company, select On a unique date per assigned company.
- If you want never ending evaluation, select Never.
- If you want the evaluation to be time based, select Based on a specified amount of time.
- See Actions and Assets for details on creating actions and assets on the success milestone.
Important: The success milestone name must be unique.
Once you have completed the necessary steps to populate the success milestone, be sure to click the Save button in the top right corner of the screen.
Assigning a Success Milestone to Companies
You can assign a success milestone to an individual Company, but you can also assign a success milestone to multiple Companies—even all the Companies in your account—on the success milestones view of the customer relationship.
Once in the Success Milestone Definition, use the search bar to easily locate the success milestone you would like to assign to a Company.
Click into the Success Milestone.
Click the down arrow next to the name of the success milestone and select Edit Assignment.
Select one, multiple, or all Companies to which you want to assign the success milestone to, and then select the Update Assignment to # Companies button.
Editing or Deleting a Success Milestone Definition
To edit or delete a success milestone definition on the customer relationship, use these steps:
- Navigate to the success milestone view of the customer relationship.
- Click the success milestone that you want to edit.
- Click the down arrow next to the name to open the menu.
- Click the View Milestones Details button. A detailed view of the success milestone definition will appear.
- Click the Edit button in the upper right-hand corner where you are able to change the name, description and settings for the evaluation start & deadline dates of the success milestone and add actions and assets. Except for changes made to the name and description, changes will be applied to new companies assigned the success milestone moving forward.
- To delete the success milestone definition, click the Delete button.
Tip: See the articles below for details on creating actions and managing assets on a success milestone definition.
Accessing the Aggregate View of Success Milestones
The success milestones view on the customer relationship lets you see how your portfolio of customers is performing as a whole against your success milestones. Follow the directions below to navigate and leverage the aggregate view.
Click the diamond in the upper right-hand corner.
That will make a list of existing success milestones appear. The diamond around each success milestone in the list contains circles as a visual approximation of how companies assigned to the milestone are progressing.
Click on a success milestone to access additional information. When you do, a screen will appear with the percentages of companies assigned this success milestone that are in the Achieving, Not Achieving, Never Achieved, and Not Started statuses.
Statuses are represented by the following colors:
- Green: The company is achieving the actions of the success milestone.
- Yellow: The company previously achieved the actions of the success milestone, but currently is not.
- Red: The company has never achieved the actions of the success milestone.
- Grey: The company has not started achieving the actions of the success milestone (meaning that the success milestone has a start date that has not yet passed).
In addition to viewing the success milestone status, from this screen you can also:
- Click one of the status circles to see the list of companies in a particular status
- Click the left arrow beside the success milestone name to go back to the list of success milestones.
- Click the down arrow next to the name to show the Edit Assignment and View Milestone Details buttons.